Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Flock and a Weekend Long Run

Lately I've been really valuing things that make me feel good. This sounds very obvious -- who doesn't like things that give you warm fuzzy feelings over things that make you angry or sad or stressed. Pretty logical and straightforward right?

I've also started thinking a lot about acting with intention, thanks a lot to Ms. Jess Lively, fellow wolverine, and her podcast, the lively show, which i've been listening to since it's inception. It's been great to listen to while walking around Ann Arbor, to and from school, and also on longer car rides by myself. 

So when the flock, oiselle's newest level of their team, opened up applications for the second (and final time) this year, I realized that I wanted to be a part of it.


During the 10-miler I ran two weekends ago, the last mile was a little rough. I was tired, and was desperate for that finish. So I mantra'ed. And one of those mantra's was "fly." I've always been a huge fan of oiselle and their apparel, and their sponsoring of Kara Goucher has only amplified that love. So fly made sense. And it worked. I pushed that last mile, and passed a guy in the process (yup, he got chick'ed).

So joining would mean I was being intentional about running. It was about seeking out others who have the same passions as me and building a network of supportive, wonderful lady runners. 

So joining the flock just made sense. Even less than a week in, the sense of community is phenomenal. I'm loving it so far. There's a good number of Michigan birdies and I can't wait to see them at various races. 

So in honor of joining the flock, and in honor of a solid 10-mile run base from the previous week, I went out for a long run on Sunday. It was my first long run in Lansing, my new home (oh yeah, don't think I've mentioned that yet. I'm living in Lansing, doing a legal fellowship) My intention was originally a 12 miler - let's just up the mileage, but I was out for about 10 minutes when the rain started. and didn't let up.

It was a wet-wet run, and I essentially forgot how to use my garmin, and ended up with the most inaccurate stats ever. But I think I ran about 8. 

I ran along the Lansing River Trail, which is a pretty perfect running path. 



As you can see. there was no sun this day. but the overcast skys gave me the perfect cool running weather. I'd always rather run when its cool than when its hot.


Some miles were fast. some miles were slower. They were all wet. The iphone survived without water damage, which is also an accomplishment. Thanks oiselle burke jacket. While you are no flyte waterproof jacket, your pockets do keep my iphone dry.

totally didnt need those sunglasses

post-soaked run selfie. way to look so serious L.

And I foam-rolled afterwards.
Look at me go.



No comments:

Post a Comment