Sunday, November 16, 2014

How to Use up a Whole Stalk of Brussels Sprouts

aka how to cook using only Jessica Merchant's recipes.

One of my favorite produce items to buy in the fall are brussels sprout stalks. It wasn't until a few years ago that I even knew brussels sprouts grew on stalks. But my favorite trader joe's informed me by carrying the stalks in store.

I now see brussels sprouts on the stalk at the farmer's market as well, which makes sense, since it saves the time they would have spent taking the sprouts off the stalk.

So, when I bought a stalk of brussels sprouts from the farmer's market, I went in search of recipes to use them up.

And of course, I first turned to how sweet eats.

And of course, Jessica had a bunch of really fantastic recipes for me.

I started with a brussels sprout hash, which included sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, bacon (duh), and onions. Like Jessica, I made this initially for dinner, and then for breakfast once I realized just how easy it was. 


I ate it with beer bread -- another one of jessica's recipes that was super easy to make.

That used up a good amount of the brussels stalk, but not all of it. The last of it would get used for macaroni and cheese. with bacon. in a skillet.






Yes, Jessica's skillet brussels sprout and bacon macaroni and cheese. This was to die for. So delicious and creamy and wonderful. I ate it for days and pnever got sick of it. so. freaking. good.


So that was what used up a whole stalk of brussels sprouts. but then I bought another. So we'll see what happens with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment