Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Best Thing that Happened to Me in 2014

A lot of really great things happened in 2014.

I graduated law school.

I passed the bar exam, to become not just a person with a law degree, but a licensed attorney.

I ran my second marathon (actual misery), and my fourth and fifth half marathons (both great).

But the hands-down greatest thing to happen was a 20-pound bundle of joy, originally named sprite, but quickly renamed Maizey.





My housing search in Lansing was limited to apartments that would allow me to have a dog. I was desperate for one, and surprisingly, it was pretty difficult to find apartment complexes without crazy additional fees, or breed restrictions.

J and I went to the Meet your best friend at the zoo event at the Detroit Zoo in September. I intended to get there early to get first dibs on the puppies I wanted, but I had a brain mixup and didn't realize what time I needed to leave to make it to the start of the event. So I got there about an hour after the event started and many of the dogs, puppies especially had been adopted.

There was one dog - a husky, shepard mix named Dakota, who I'd actually seen photos of online, but the photos failed to document her beauty. But of course, she had been adopted just before I found her at the event.

And thus I went home without a puppy.

It was the following week when I saw a new posting under the "husky" search -- for a "husky/corgi" mix from canine companion rescue center. I submitted the application immediately, and also almost immediately got a call from the foster mom, telling me all about "sprite."

A few days later, I went to meet her, and instantly fell in love.

She was so soft and shy when I first met her. I held her on my lap and she was so nervous, but warmed up to me by the end of the time with her.

I was pretty much sold.

The following Saturday I went to pick her up.




J and I are so in love with her.


When she snuggles up on top of me, or lays in the most ridiculous ways with legs and feet in all different directions, or snuggles up into a ball, or when her ears flip back so that she looks totally husky, or uses her paws like hands, I fall in love all over again.

she is actually sleeping here. this is not mid-stretch


J brought her to the half finish last weekend, and everyone loved her. So many "your dog is so cute" compliments.

So yes, she's very clearly the best part of 2014 for me. and I can't wait for many many more years with her.




3 comments:

  1. Boo, I'm sorry your second marathon was miserable! But ahhhh, Maizey!! I am SO jealous -- and those ears are totally killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maizey is SO CUTE! Thanks for sharing this on my blog, love!
    Randi with an i

    ReplyDelete