Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fracture Update

Wednesday morning bright and early I headed to the orthopedist for the month later follow up appointment to the first foot visit.

The first hint of trouble was when I walked in and the receptionist gave me a funny look when I gave her my name. Turns out my appointment was for Thursday at 7AM, not Wednesday. Luckily, they snuck me in (the beauty of 7AM appointments?), and X-ray's #3 occurred.

As soon as the x-rays were up I started feeling anxiety. The fracture was still pretty prominently displayed on the x-ray, despite the reassuring cloud of bone growth. I was preparing myself for the worst, and then my wonderful orthopedist assured me I was right on track. The fracture wasn't going to just disappear, but it was healing accordingly, and then I got the best news I have heard in a long time.



2.5 weeks to my grand return to running. Which is now just 2 weeks. Now grand return just means running half a mile, walking half a mile until I'm 100% pain free. And only working up to running 2 or 3 miles by the end of August. Which doesn't bode well for that non-transferable half marathon I signed up for last MARCH. But we will see how it goes. For now, the countdown to running has begun. 14 days.

Lately I've been doing a bit of thinking about what lead this fracture to occur in the first place. Surely running 13.1 miles. I looked at my daily mile training  record the other day and saw this, and it really all made sense:


See that nice SEVEN miles a week 6 weeks before the half? Or how about that 14 miles 2 weeks before? No wonder I gave myself a stress fracture. Plus toss in some HARD runs, as well as differing surfaces (trails, sidewalk, gravel) and I'm not all that surprised.

To ensure a safe return to running and no re-breaking, I'm going to run in my frees to start out with. I will get back to VFF running, but just not right now. I'm also going to keep up swimming like a champ.

Oh running, watch out. I'm coming back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment